Friday, December 10, 2010

Why Blog?

I don't struggle with writing news stories. After I get my assignment, I read press releases, look at biographies, and check out other sources of information. When it comes to blogging, it's more difficult. News stories are more objective. I can separate myself from them. My blog posts, on the other hand, are my ideas and experiences. They are directly related to me.

So why blog? I think it's a great form of expressing my ideas. I started blogging because a professor wanted her students to gain experience with different forms of media. I thought I would hate it, but I love it.

At times, I struggle for the right words or the right topic. At times, I second-guess what I've written. Quite a few posts have never been put online for this reason.  But through blogging, I've gained a voice that I didn't have before.

I have focused this blog on journalism. This post isn't any different. As a young journalist, I want to blog to share my experiences in the field, even if I don't have that many. I also want to join in the journalistic community. Many journalists have created blogs. Many news media outlets have created blogs. Blogs encourage dialogue. That's where journalism is moving. Journalism is no longer one-way communication from the reporter to the audience.

By blogging, I am encouraging dialogue. If you like my posts, if you disagree with my posts, if you have additional information, feel free to comment. Dialogue is what journalism is all about nowadays. My blogging experience has helped me engage in that dialogue.

With all this talk of dialogue, feel free to share your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment