Friday, December 3, 2010

Does Age Help or Hurt in Establishing Rapport?

When I conducted my first official face-to-face interview for a recent article, the interviewee asked how many years I had been working as a journalist. My age showed. I appear several years younger than I actually am. I wonder if my age will ever sabotage my building rapport with interviewees. Of course, they know that I'm young, but they also know that I must be qualified since I am interviewing them.

Being young is a double-edged sword. My demeanor sets me apart. I want my interviewees to see me as professional. However, my youth will be associated with inexperience. Only time can help this issue.

During phone interviews, my age doesn't show. When I interviewed a pageant queen, she never realized that we were about the same age. As I prepare for a phone interview with bishop-elect, I wonder if he will get a sense of my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment