Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Do Journalists Get Writer's Block?

It has been almost a week since my last post. Why? The answer is writer's block. Then, my frustration became my inspiration. Do journalist get writer's block?

While I have read that journalists can't get writer's block, I think it still exists for journalists. The cure, however, is the deadline. When I have time to work on something, the pressure to complete the task isn't there. On the other hand, when time starts to dwindle, the words come forth.

Although writer's block is a minute issue for journalists, journalists can still benefit from tips on how to cure writer's block that could occur when the pressure is not there. One tip is creatively procrastinate. By this, I mean work on other tasks that need to get done. You'll procrastinate when it comes to writing, but you will still be getting some things on your to-do list done. Another tip is to just walk away from the computer. The bright light could cause eye strain. Additionally, sitting at a computer and leaning forward can cause tension in your body. Getting up to pour yourself some coffee can help you relax and give you a second wind. My last tip is read. If you're a journalist, you probably love reading articles. Take a break and read an article. It'll keep your mind active. Additionally, when you return to your writing, your mind will be refreshed because you focused on a different task.

Feel free to add tips that have helped you overcome writer's block.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janine,

    When it comes to article writing at least, I find the best cure for writers block is to just skip the intro and do that last. I find the intro to be the hardest part - everything else can flow pretty easily if you've got enough info for your story.

    So yeah, my tip would be if you're struggling to get a story done then skip the intro and you might find the rest just comes. And by the time you've done the rest, you probably have a better idea of what your intro should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Todd. Usually, intros are where I get stuck when it comes to writers' block. Knowing where the story is going helps you know how it should start.

    ReplyDelete