Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Does Anyone Still Read Newspapers?

I remember in the instructor of my News Writing class, Mrs. Megan Toland, presenting the following quote to my class. Paul Saffo from the Institute for the Future stated, “Paper won’t disappear (in the future), but paperless media will soak up more of our time.  We will eventually become paperless the way we once became horseless.  Horses are still around, but they are ridden by hobbyists, not consumers.” This led to a discussion over the decline of newspapers and the rise of news online.

I thought that I would fight for paper-versions of newspapers. However, when my school newspaper voted between a physical paper and an online version, I preferred the online version.

A few nights ago, I stayed up late trying to read interesting articles that popped up in my news feed. The next morning, I thought about how many times I had used the Internet to access news stories as opposed to paper-version newspapers. So now my question is “Does anyone still read newspapers?” As society moves away from older forms of media, such as print media, towards those centered on the Internet, will newspaper be able to survive?

No comments:

Post a Comment